shifting problems

Dovi61

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guyz
Just wanted to mention I found a post here that really helped me get my winter project running. It was about how the condensers are wired, thanks to the person who posted that info. Now that I have it running the next thing is to get it moving. The tranny will not shift out of gear and only goes up or down 2 gears but not to neutral. I have pulled the clutch and clutch basket and moving the cog that does the shifting manually with a philips screwdriver, it does the same thing. Anybody have ideas on where I should check next, any help is very welcomed. Thanks

If you are moving the cog that does the shifting manually with a Philips screwdriver, then you need to be turning the output shaft sprocket (the sprocket that the drive chain goes on). This simulates the rear wheel turning, which is necessary, as nj1639 said.

Yes, you kind of have to rock it onto neutral. If it still won't behave. The next step would be clutch adjustment. There are threads on it here somewhere. More common than internal gearbox issues.

Back