What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
If you were to dye the two the same color, ask me to work 'em both and pick the best, I couldn't.

View attachment 323474

I have never used that one.

I typically use the formula 27 and the ultra light.

And I like you, often know what needs to be done and yet… I soldier on in the wrong direction haha.

I have a particularly hard time with dry times. I’m way impatient, mess with it too soon in the name of “knocking it out”, screw something up and then have to start over. I have now forced myself to set a timer and physically leave the area where the work is being done.

Slow is smooth - smooth is fast.

A job worth doing is worth doing over...😎
You know you`ve worked in the body shop too long when your moto is "I can do it over 3 times faster than most people can do it right the first time".:yikes:
Body Shop really puts a date on ya. Now their Collision Repair and Refinish Centers.:thumbsup:

Speaking of painting tins....I really need this in my life. 🥰

1713558654727.png

No paint today. Stepson got hired on at the Ford plant in Claycomo. He's on week 3 of a 3 month probation period.... no late's, no exceptions. So we spent the day fixin' niggles on his transportation. It's an ol' junker, but it's fairly reliable... more so now.

Anyway... since the day's pretty much spoken for, spent the rest of it making another fixture for tanks. Now I don't have to worry about trying to pull a fresh paint tank off the old one iff'n I want to shoot 2 in one day.
Had to go to the hardware store for a threaded coupling. Other than that... all repurposed crap scrap. Works a treat. :geek:

1713744695225.png

1713744715727.png

1713744735510.png

1713744752814.png

1713744773283.png

1713744792956.png

1713744813211.png

1713744837891.png

1713744857418.png

Many years ago I used to work for a rail company in Ft Wayne and I dispatched the rail depot for Ford in Claycomo, MO. Been there once back in the early 2000’s. Even got a tour of the old salt mine caves they use for warehousing (not Ford) not far from there. That was pretty cool.

What a day....

Got a late start. You know... honeydo's. Got the paint room nice and clean... then couldn't figure out (remember) which tank was in there ready to shoot. Finally found a clue on the tank upstairs. Can't get paint out of the front mount holes...

1713828932801.png

So it's the blue tank on deck. Got it shot, but man what an ordeal.... all self inflicted of course, but painful nonetheless. I learned stuff about the new throwaway cup system.

First thing I learned is when you invert the gun to remove the cup... invert the damn gun, dumbass. Held it sideways and kinda bent the gun and cup apart... like breaking a stick. That make sense? So the cup and gun both end up upright. Tossed the cup and went to push the gun on the next cup. Soon as I inverted the gun, paint went everywhere. Holy fuck.... you have any idea jus' how much paint is left in just the gun? Musta been at least a gallon. OK, maybe not that much.... but damn did I make a mess.

Next thing I learned is you can't add thinner to a mixed cup. Started shooting and decided the paint needed a little more thinning. Well, you can't pull the lid off a cup. Well... you can actually... but it ain't pretty. Yup, 'nother mess to tend to. But before cup and lid went their merry ways to opposite sides of the room, scattering... you guessed it...'nother gallon of paint, I tried adding thinner with a funnel. Nope. The screen in the lids is so tiny, the thinner didn't have enough weight behind it to pass through. I guess when the gun's sucking paint, it's the low pressure that pulls the paint through. 'Nother mess.

Anyway... blue tank is shot. Was tryin' to shoot both in one day... but I'm bushed. More mentally than physical... but that's enough for one day. Red one will have to wait 'till tomorrow.

1713830219059.png

Last edited:
What a day....

Got a late start. You know... honeydo's. Got the paint room nice and clean... then couldn't figure out (remember) which tank was in there ready to shoot. Finally found a clue on the tank upstairs. Can't get paint out of the front mount holes...

View attachment 323831

So it's the blue tank on deck. Got it shot, but man what an ordeal.... all self inflicted of course, but painful nonetheless. I learned stuff about the new throwaway cup system.

First thing I learned is when you invert the gun to remove the cup... invert the damn gun, dumbass. Held it sideways and kinda bent the gun and cup apart... like breaking a stick. That make sense? So the cup and gun both end up upright. Tossed the cup and went to push the gun on the next cup. Soon as I inverted the gun, paint went everywhere. Holy fuck.... you have any idea jus' how much paint is left in just the gun? Musta been at least a gallon. OK, maybe not that much.... but damn did I make a mess.

Next thing I learned is you can't add thinner to a mixed cup. Started shooting and decided the paint needed a little more thinning. Well, you can't pull the lid off a cup. Well... you can actually... but it ain't pretty. Yup, 'nother mess to tend to. But before cup and lid went their merry ways to opposite sides of the room, scattering... you guessed it...'nother gallon of paint, I tried adding thinner with a funnel. Nope. The screen in the lids is so tiny, the thinner didn't have enough weight behind it to pass through. I guess when the gun's sucking paint, it's the low pressure that pulls the paint through. 'Nother mess.

Anyway... blue tank is shot. Was tryin' to shoot both in one day... but I'm bushed. More mentally than physical... but that's enough for one day. Red one will have to wait 'till tomorrow.

View attachment 323834
FWIW, the DeCups system is more user friendly in the re-filling/adding department
What a day....

View attachment 323831

View attachment 323834
FWIW, the DeCups system is easy to add product to. It uses a cup, a soft plastic liner, a lid and a locking ring for the cup. To add product you just invert gun assembly, squeeze trigger to drain, remove gun from cup (1/2 twist), unscrew locking ring and remove liner lid by peeling it back. Easy Peasy except you still have to mix your product in a measuring cup and then strain into the gun cup.

Back